Thursday, March 20, 2008

Homage to the 1950's





My editor at the cyclist magazine asked me if I could do a cover illustration for the april issue. She wanted me to come up with something that could be seen as a parody of the fifties. She mentioned the "Far til fire" films from that decade, but wanted me to add an element that would go against the feel-good-mood.
I have drawn the family, from the movies,on a bike vacation and placed them in a countryside environment, made up of two famous posters from 1951 (the ducks crossing the road) and 1931 (the wheat field and ocean). Both posters capture that feel-good-mood of that era.
The client was happy with the result, but asked me to take out the yellow toxic barrel, 'cause it was too scary. They let me keep my purple four-eyed frogs though.
I have made the color registration a little off and made the reds bleed out a little, so it looks like the prints from back then. Thanks to Frank Stockton for good advice on how to create that printed in the fifties look.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Queen Tut said...

MArvelous illustraion!

Restnrileks said...

I love your illo. Love the ducks. Funny. Oh my, the frogs do come with more than one eye. :)

Esther Westwood said...

those posters are great and your cover is fantastique! i love everything about it

van dyke said...

Very well done. Love the colors!

mcverhoog said...

Great illo. Nice to see how you've come to your final artwork. Just a pity you've had to make an 'adjustment' for the final cover.

Ellen said...

Whoa! This is really good!

parisa mahmoudi said...

Hello,it's my honor to receive your comment on my blog.Your advice is a pleasure for me in order to continue illustrating"A ghost with no shadow"
Yours sincerely
parisa mahmoudi